Crème Brulée is a perfect treat for a special occasion. This particular recipe is perfect for Valentine’s Day, because it contains the word “passion” – has to be made for a loved one, right?! This creamy coconut-vanilla flavour has been taken to another level with complimenting it with sour-ish passion fruit. Something that every person will love!
- 1/3 cup of raw honey
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup of coconut cream
- 1/3 cup of coconut milk
- 1 tsp Sunny Day Organics’ Vanilla Bean Powder
- 2-3 pcs of passion fruit
- 3 tbsp of maple sugar or freshly grated palm sugar (the latter tends to burn fast)
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Keep it warm.
- Pre heat your oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Heat up the coconut cream and coconut milk until they start to simmer.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks, honey and vanilla bean powder in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Once the coconut milk and cream are hot, pour them into the egg yolk mixture in a steady stream, while continuously whisking.
- Pour the mixture into 4 ramekins or oven-proof mugs.
- Place the ramekins in a deep baking tray, and fill the tray with the hot water from the stove until it reaches halfway up the ramekins. Be careful not to get the water inside the ramekins!
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Let it slightly cool and then transfer into the refrigerator. Chill for at least 2 hours
To serve: Cut the passion fruit in half, and scoop out the flesh. Distribute the flesh equally among the crème brulee ramekins. Sprinkle each Crème Brulée with about 1 tbsp Maple sugar.
Using a kitchen torch, torch the crème brulée until the sugar is caramelized (but not burnt!). Alternatively, you can use the broiler setting in your oven and broil the brulée on high for about 5 minutes until the top has caramelized and is a beautiful golden colour.
This recipe is created, baked and taste-tested by our lovely Photographer at Fairuz Zia Photography, who loved the combination of sweet base and sour passion fruit. We’ll bet you will, too!